Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 4: The Meaning Behind Your Blog Name

My Tumblr and Blogspot "name" is KimmySoo. To reveal the personal meaning this name has we have to go back... Way back.

Picture, if you will, a wee little 7th grader called Kim. It's the first day of middle school. (Yes, in Utah middle school doesn't start until 7th grade; I have no idea why they feel the need to do that) She's nervous and knows not one person in her homeroom class. She decided not to attend the same middle school all of her fellow classmates from elementary school flew off to.

She wanted new opportunities. New opportunities and better safety. There was quite a high violence and gang rating at her "in range" middle school. So, she chose elsewhere.

Anywho... Sitting in front of the wide eyed, freaked out, little girl was a blond girl.

Andrea Bowen.

I will never forget Andrea Bowen. Lots of golden hair, gathered in a ponytail, glasses, short, but spicy. She wasn't one to be pushed around. She enjoyed laughing, though. She quickly introduced herself to me, then asked my name.

"Kim" I told her.

Well... that wasn't cool enough I guess. Throughout the next week, she took to adding the extra m and y. But, that still wasn't good enough. At the end of the week, I walked into class, sat down and was greeted by miss Andrea Bowen.

"Hey there Kimmy Sue!"

"Hey, Andrea. Sue isn't my middle name" I answered, giggling. I was beginning to figure her out, and learned when in doubt, laugh.

Shaking her head Andrea Bowen only said "I don't care. I like it and will call you that from now on."

That she did, too.

I went home that afternoon, and told my family about my new friend Andrea Bowen, and her nickname for me. They found it hilarious, and started referring to me as their Kimmy Sue.

Well, I'm a bit of an odd duck. I enjoyed the name, don't get me wrong. However, I was still troubled by the fact that my middle name is not, nor ever has been, Sue. I felt quite conflicted with my middle name conundrum.

So what do I do? I make it my own. Change the ue to oo. Soo.

I like it!

Let's sum up!

Kim=Kimmy=Kimmy Sue=Kimmy Soo

Now, here I am, 26 years old and I'm still referred to as Kimmy Soo. It stuck. I use it for most "username" scenarios.

No comments: